Marian L Heard Scholars Program 2021
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is pleased to offer the United Way Marian L. Heard Scholarship to eligible high school seniors or those enrolled in an alternative education program, who are involved with a United Way partner agency, Youth Venture team, or any United Way initiative/program. United Way will choose up to 15 finalists who intend on attending the first year of a two- or four-year college or post-secondary certification/degree program full time, to receive up to $10,000 in scholarship funds over the next four years ($2,500 per year). Finalists will have the opportunity to reapply each year for up to 4 years. Students planning to enroll part-time are not eligible to apply.
- Students are nominated by an organization and submit an application by March 19, 2021. Student should first create an application log in and through this website identify their nominator (staff person at the UW partner organization).
- Applications are reviewed. Semi-finalists are notified by April 23, 2021 and must submit financial documents for review by May 12, 2021.
- Semi-finalist financial documents are reviewed. Awardees are notified by mid-May.
- Accepted scholars are invited to our annual MLH Celebration in June (most likely this celebration will be virtual).
We are requesting that agencies complete and submit a nomination form for up to 4 students, which should accompany his/her scholarship application. Agencies with many different sites or locations are eligible to submit two nominations per campus. We are looking for "stand out" students with significant community leadership experience.
Who is Eligible?
- Youth from low income households
- Youth applying for full-time 2- or 4- year colleges or post-secondary certification program starting in Fall 2021
- Youth active in a United Way partner agency, Youth Venture team or other UW program/initiative
United Way MLH Scholars program provides students with:
- Up to $10,000 in scholarship over 4 years of college/post-secondary education ($2,500 per year)
- An e-Coach who is a mentor that supports the scholars throughout college
- Program staff support that offers ongoing guidance to Scholars
The scholarship committee will only review complete applications submitted through this web platform. Applications received after due date will not be accepted. The application incudes:
- Student application form
- High school or GED transcript
- Letter of recommendation from teacher, guidance counselor, mentor or employee
- Nomination form and letter from United Way partner agency or Youth Venture Team Advisor
For more scholarship and application information, please read MLH Scholar's Handbook and visit: http://unitedwaymassbay.org/what-we-do/helping-kids-succeed-in-school/marian-l-heard-scholarship/
If you have any questions, please contact Sam Zito via email, email@example.com. Please be sure to read the application and handbook for all requirements.